Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A piece of History - Singapore in the year 1938



This Video is the video image that my grandfathers have described to me.
The Sri Mariamman temple which still stands today as both as a place of worship as well as a monument of the history of the Hindus in Singapore. *Note the statue of British soldiers on the temple doom, to look like temple guards. That statue is now gone.
I knew the raffles hotel was old, but i didn't know this old!

The Singapore population then was mainly made of migrants from China, India and Malays who were already there and of course the British. But the point to note is that the traditional Muslims, Chineses and Indians have the culture of sending their women to work, but in the video i could see Chinese ladies working as hair dressers.
Although the Indians and Malays in the video, i see no reason why they would not have followed suit, since the society has no objections or discriminations.To know that Singapore was never a sexist country is a proud feeling.

i am happy to share this video with my readers and to spread some history of Singapore.

3 comments:

the blogger formerly known as sansmerci said...

m here to tell u that m bak in blogosphere, wud love to have u read my latest post and leave ur valued comments! :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Glad to have a peek into Singaporean history .. I wasn't able to access the video as I'm in hostel and the streaming is taking a lil too long. Will check it out tomorrow evening .

Vasanthan said...

@ex-semerci= I would be glad to read your posts. welcome back.

@shalini: please watch the video and tell me how it was.