Saturday, March 24, 2007

India born Indians and the local Indians is there a barrier?

I have seen in many cases that highly educated Indian nationals don tend to mix around with the main stream Indians in Singapore.

I have an uncle who rents out one of the room in his house to Indian nationals. Once he had a couple with a daughter who was just 4 years old. They did stay in Singapore for about a year, after which they migrated to the US. But during the time the little girl went to the local nursery which had other local Indian children studying as well. And the local Indian kids were also from the neighborhood. During my younger days when I was in kindergarten, when my grandparents brought me to the playground I would see my school friends in the play ground and I would be playing with them. But surprisingly this didn’t happen for that little girl. She was not allowed to mix around with the local kids. The mother of the girl would not speak to the local Indian parents.

It was like the family was having a barrier between the locals. If you want to maintain a distance why make the effort to come to Singapore? I am sure u can maintain better distance from India.Oh and I forgot, Singapore was the launching pad for them to go to the US.

Then again, is it the local’s fault by stereotyping that Indian nationals are snobbish people? When the local Indians have this opinion then it is harder for them to try to establish a friendly relationship with the Indian nationals.

I belief there are 2 faces to this story. But let’s not play the blame game. We both came from the same heritage but we are split by our egos. We should break the barrier and try to know each other better instead of avoiding association with each other.That’s my verdict.

4 comments:

Arvind Gawade said...

good post vasan, thoroughly agree with you on this aspect about the snobbish attitude of NRIs who come to SG to work n spoil our market.

Haran said...

hahaha... it's making me laugh. Because one of my neighbour in Australia is a young Indian family. When I saw them first I said hello... and they just behaved like they didn't even hear me saying hello and they walked away... I thought they didn't hear me... so few times I smiled and said hello... but they just kept their face frozen and walked away... I don't even look at their face anymore... but I'm not sure why they've been doing this. I'm still a human and because they are my neighbour I just wanted to say hello and I wouldn't go and eat them or something.

Anonymous said...

I agree you on the 'breaking barriers' thing you said. I have been in Singapore almost 3 to 4 years now. Almost everytime I have interacted with a local Indian here, I feel as if they are holding back something. I din't know that the local Indians had such opinions about us until I read your blog, and everything fits in place.

For the girl incident, I feel it was just an adjusting issue. As you said, it was only a yr they stayed here. Got issues like adjusting to a totally new home, new types of people around, new languages, + the sadness of being away from your motherland.

And according to me 'I am sure u can maintain better distance from India.Oh and I forgot, Singapore was the launching pad for them to go to the US.' was a totally ignorant comment. You know India is not the poor, illiterate,dirty country you perhaps imagine it to be =(. And yet again, before you label me another snobbish India born Indian, am being protective about the country I so dearly love. Am sure you would do the same if someone said anything about Singapore. This brings me to another point - just recently I encountered a experience where a local indian was talking down about india, and i naturally shot back. I hope you dont consider this as snobbish behaviour. :S.

Please remove any prejudices you may have. (even the once i have noticed amongst local Indians here). As freshly come out of India, we did not know that the locals thought about us so, they were just another Indians to us (India born Indians or the local Indian,,,dint matter), hence it is very disheartening to see people treat you like that when no fault of your.

P.S. at arvind --> I think you should start breaking the barriers first. Treat each person individually, otherwise you may just turn someone into a snob just because you treat him like one. Think about it.

For me, I was(am) so royally proud of the Indians here. Because of you guys, the chinkis know about the Indian culture. Because of you guys, it feels a home away from home here =).

Spread the LOVE> =D

ciao!

Anonymous said...

А ужели это верно ? Мне кажется что тогда очень как-то не так. [url=http://tutledy.ru/sovmestimost-s-muzhchinoy/97-muzhchina-rak-i-zhenshchina-rak.html]мужчина рак и женщина рак[/url]