Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Vaaranam Aayiram Review


After a long time away from the internet I am back. I spent my last week with my family who are here in India to visit my ailing grandmother. My grandmother is feeling better, although it is not possible for her to be of full health, she and all of us have accepted the facts and the fate. Thanks to all who wished me for the good health of my grandmother and my exams. That prayers and wishes helped as I pass my first CCVP exam, with a score to be proud off too.
I managed to catch the movie I have been waiting for a long time. And this time the movie didn’t disappoint like the previous ones. Varanam Ariram is the movie. I am not going to give u any spoilers but just neutral comments, so carry on reading. I know how a spoiler changes the prospective one watch a movie. I enjoyed this movie and I want all others to enjoy it the same way.

Gautham Menon wrote and directed this movie. Like most Tamil movie it does not have a complicated storyline. The director kept it simple and paid attention to the details. The details made the movie long, but at the same time very interesting. I loved the avant garde approach and style to tell the story that Gautham used in this movie. There was some rumors that Gautham got inspirations from Forest Gump, but after watching the movie, I don’t think anything was copied from “Forest Gump” this movie is about a man’s growth to adulthood, his challenges and how his father was there for him in every part of his life.
In short it is a beautiful story; girls who dream of their prince in shining armor will love this movie. This is not an action film, although there are some fight sequences, they were not filmed in a manner to show how superhero the hero is; instead they were realistic and needed in the movie. No unbelievable stunts or graphics in these ones. I should say the fights were just sufficient, nothing more nothing less.
The second half was a little drag and as I heard from my friend who watched it the second time, he says some scenes were cut off. But still it didn’t affect the feel of the movie. But the Drag was also interesting, not like Kuruvi which was a pain.
My rating for the movie is 4 out of 5 stars. And on a personal front as a Surya fan I would have given 5 out of 5. This movie was not filmed to give actor Surya the “MASS” effect; it didn’t give that image either. Instead it brought out his acting talent showing the many faces of his acting. This fitness regime and muscles really sells Sarath Kumar to the butcher for free. It shows, he is the Salman khan of Tamil Cinema, undoubtedly.
So people go catch the movie in the cinemas, and be entertained and be content that the money and time spent was worthwhile.

12 comments:

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Good 2 c u back :) Wt wud b ur rating for the movie?

Vasanthan said...

@Ponnarasi Kothandaraman: thanks for your welcome comments. and as for the ratings its 9/10

Anonymous said...

Congrates for your CCVP exam. Looks like you are planning to complete all the Cisco Certification packages. Any plans to go for the highest certs: CCIE?

Vasanthan said...

Bryan: Not CCIE just CCVP Only. i can't bear to do more. i am getting sick and tired of it.

Raghavan alias Saravanan M said...

Vasanthan,

First time visit I presume. A nice write up :)

//The director kept it simple and paid attention to the details. The details made the movie long, but at the same time very interesting.//

Yes I too agree. Check out my review if interested.

http://blogsofraghs.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/vaaranam-aayiram-review/

Keep blogging.

Cheers,
Raghavan alias Saravanan M.

Raghavan alias Saravanan M said...

//I don’t think anything was copied from “Forest Gump” this movie is about a man’s growth to adulthood, his challenges and how his father was there for him in every part of his life.//

But looks like its kinda true. Check out this link -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaaranam_Aayiram.

Just for your ease, pasting the relevant text here.

//The film was believed to be based on the Dutch film by Mike van Diem, Character, however others have claimed that it is a remake of the 1993 Hollywood movie, Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks. However Gautham has stated the film will draw inspirations from Forrest Gump but will be fixed to suit the Indian audience.//

:)

Raghavan alias Saravanan M said...

huh.. missed to c that CCVP.

Congratulations. How exactly was it? I had been till CCNA courses :)

Vasanthan said...

Ragavan: Thanks so much for those comments. thanks for reading. after finishing this reply i am heading to your blog.
as for the CCVP it is kind hard cos its a lot of new concept outside the networking spectrum. but nonetheless it is well structured.

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Firstly, Congrats on you scoring good marks :) Glad to hear that your grand mum is feeling well andI'm also happy to know you had good time with your family..

Wow!! Varnam Ayiram , your post has jus' made me even more wanting to go and watch the movie as soon as possible, but these dreaded exams *sigh*

Vasanthan said...

@Shalini: thanks for your wishes. i know your will do the same for your exams.
and i am glad that my review encouraged you to catch the movie. i hope it did not give you any spoilers.
i am sure it will still be in the cinemas after your exams.

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

I saw the movie.. loved it!

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]vasanthan.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research shows that almost 60% of all USA adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.