Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The 81st Oscars

Hugh Jackman did justice to the show with 10/10 performance in the show. Mind you this is wolverine we are talking about, jumping around dancing and singing along. The Oscars this year was one to remember. 2009 is the year of the underdogs.
The look on Brad Pitt told me he was expecting a big sweep for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", and the odds were also looking his way. But it was not meant to be, the underdog “ Slumdog millionaire” beat all odd and became the top dog, winning 8 of 10 nominations. Where Of Benjamin Button won three Oscars and has tied the record for the most nominated film not to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.



After watching the Oscars I knew I had to watch the movie (yeah lazy me have not watched it till then). I can say the movie totally deserved to win in every department it was nominated for.

My man AR Rahman has done it for India with 2 Oscars. Although the credit for best soundtrack will be shared by M.I.A as well for her “paper planes” song which was mixed with the award winning “O.. Saya”.

Nonetheless India bagged 3 Oscars for Best original Score and best original Song by AR Rahman and best sound mixing by Resul Pookutty
AR Rahman made all Hindi speaking Indians and Tamil Speaking Indians proud by mentioning versus in both languages. I only understood “ Yella Puzhalum Erivanukae!” which means “ All fame to god him alone”. The Speech that I found most memorable was from the first Oscar that was presented to India. Which was to Resul Pookutty, and he said
"I dedicate this award to my country. This is not just a sound award but a piece of history that has been handed over to me," a beaming and emotional Pookutty said while dedicating the trophy to a billion Indians.
"I come from a country and civilization that gave the world the word that precedes silence and is followed by more silence. That word is 'Om'. So I dedicate this award to my country,
That one really touched my heart.

2 comments:

PurpleHeart said...

Yea, what a moment it was for all of us !

Vasanthan said...

@purpleHeart:It marks a new beginning