Saturday, December 15, 2007

Completed PADI Open water diving licence!

I have made a New Year resolution on getting a proper driving licence. My resolution for 2007 was to get a Australian driving licence. Since that was impossible, I decided to get a dirving licence instead. I signed up for the course on Monday 10th December and finished the course on the 16th. Just before 2007 is up.

My housemate Andrew was the first to sign up and he tempted me to join as well. But due to unforeseen circumstances Andrew could not continue with the course. I had to do it myself.

The whole licence course was in 4 phases.

Phase 1 – Theory

Phase 2 – Familiarization in the swimming pool

Phase 3 – Shore dive (Stradbroke Island)

Phase 4 – Mid sea boat dive. (Stradbroke Island)

The dive at Stradbroke was simply mesmerising. Fished was everywhere. Catching them was so easy. Those who fish with a rod I suggest get a diving licence and start sphere fishing instead. You will have better luck that way. I am a bad swimmer. But diving does not involve goo swimming skills, just confidence. Unlike my initial thoughts you don’t have to control your breathing. Just breath like you would, out of the water.

If you are interested in diving, search for the nearest PADI diving school from “www.padi.com”. You can also travel to the country that offers it and take the lesson and get certified within a week! And the licence is internationally recognised!

3 comments:

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Sounds interesting! Congrats on your diving license.. I hardly remember my swimming , may be will give this a try sometime during my next vacation :)

PurpleHeart said...

Congrats on the license. I didn't know this sport required a license !!

Vasanthan said...

@ Shalini - thanks. you didn't do too bad yourself with your driving license.

@purpleheart - Yes you need a license and it is very dangerous to dive without proper training. you could cause serious injury to yourself.