Friday, July 11, 2008

Back to the village!

Last week I got week off from my daily routine in the institute. One week break to go visit my grandmother and my cousin sisters in a village very close to Sirkali. I must say it was a break that I needed badly. I was starting to be in a rut with my daily routine.

In the village everything was pretty much primitive, but my life was like a king. I no longer had to go and find lunch and dinner, but my aunt brought everything to me. I was served like a king. They cooked whatever I wanted and whenever I wanted. Don’t get me wrong that I took them for granted but that’s the way they treated me. My cousin sister had never used the internet before and so I introduced them to the internet. But with the data card that I had I could only access the internet from the top floor open balcony of the house. Thanks to me grandfather for building the tallest building in the area and I got a clear line of sight to the towers.
Life in the village had a lot of difference to the life in Chennai. Life did go very slowly in the village and it was more peaceful. But in Chennai, the life and the pace is pretty similar to the life I had in Singapore, hectic, fast, crowded and tiring.

Basically my whole trip back was just about eating and sleeping. Just like in a holiday resort, minus the cost.

During my trip in Sirkali, I had to attend a Valaikapu (bangle ceremony at my neighbor’s house). I took special interest to attend the function because a lot of people whom I used to know attended that function. I have seen them when I was like 4-5 years old. So many people came to me and asked “do you remember me?” seriously I was clueless, but trying my best to not offend them, I was apologetic and told them that I am a suffering from “ghajini” fever, they laughed and understood.
After the ceremony I helped in serving the food for the guest, when I was the joke of the eating area, cos apparently there is a code on where each food item has to be placed. I put where every on the banana leave that I found space. It was lot of fun forcing people with more food and their reaction.
All these years I have missed this cheap fun by staying in Singapore all these while.

I miss Singapore, but I am loving every minute of India at the moment.

4 comments:

Arvind Gawade said...

hey man, you can really survive well in India. This is very true sometimes the simple things in life provide the greatest happiness. :)

Vasanthan said...

Hey man remember that time when we were listening and singing along to Enrique Iglesias's Hero as we cycled back to out campsite at Pulau Ubin?

That night u blasted your snore so loud i slept outside the tent and feeding the mosquitos.

Simple place, simple song, simple night with nothing special.

Vasanthan said...

actually that night was special. there was meteor shower and we took it for shooting stars and made wishes!

lemon said...

you also must have heard alot of...'the last time i saw u, u were this tiny'!!