Sunday, July 27, 2008

My witty Grandfather

I recall my late grandfather today. Somehow I have been flooded by his memory in recent days. And I would like to share with you guys, one of many memories I have of him,a trick my grandfather played on me.
This happened when I was 4 years old.
It was one morning when my grandfather was getting ready to go to the bank. He didn’t want to go alone and asked me if I wanted to come along.( His plan was to give my grandmother a break from all the mess I make at home. ) I initially refused, but grandpa managed to buy me over by suggesting that he would buy me KFC fried chicken, if I came with him. For that friend chicken, I was sold.
It seemed like a good idea cos if I came late I can miss school which is at noon. My plan was to delay the trip so that I can miss school as well. Two birds with one stone.
So we went to the bank. I went with lots of hope. As our turn arrived at the bank, my grandfather made transactions. Has he was getting finished I reminded my grandfather that he has to buy me that friend chicken to uphold his end of the bargain.
My grandfather told me “there is no more chicken! If you don’t belief me ask this aunty”, as he pointed to the very puzzled bank teller. He asked the teller “do you have chicken?” and the lady replied with a “no! “. (An Obvious answer, since banks don’t sell chicken and poor Little Vas didn’t know where those KFC chickens were sold.)
My grandfather knew it and tricked me into believing that banks also sold chicken. Since there was no stock for the chicken I returned home. When I returned home, grandmother was waiting for me with my ironed set of uniform, that very moment it struck me that it was time for school and I have failed my mission to miss school and feast on that KFC chicken.
My readers: You must have similar tricked that had been played by your parents on you. Please recall and share it with me, I am sure it will being a chuckle and bring back nice memories.

12 comments:

lemon said...

ha ha...good one
I'll remember to use that on my children when the time comes!

I don't remember too much of my childhood, atleast not things in such detail.

Vasanthan said...

@lemonade: when i think of my grandfather that is what comes to my mind.

Arvind Gawade said...

I understand how you feel, as you know man I was brought up by my grandparents as my parents were out working and I always think a lot about my grandpa and till today everytime I think of him my eyes well up and I feel a lump in my throat. But to remember him in a good way, a trick he played on me in order to get me to go to the barber for my haircut was he would promise to buy me my favorite bowl of fishball noodles as well as those styrofoam gliders that you assemble from the red packs. And I would readily go to the barber and bear the agony of another haircut I was afraid of the shaver when I was a kid. And then eventually, when I was done he would buy me the noodles but the glider he would say that the shop had closed already for the day. I did not know where the shop was of course but nonetheless..my grandpa will always be my biggest inspiration in life. I can never be as good a man as he was but I will always make sure to keep his name sailing high.

my life.... said...

How i wished i cld have spent some time with my grandpa :( One died before i was born. Another died when i was 2 1/2 yrs old... Hiazz

Nadodi Mannan said...

my great grandma took care of me in my initial years.. she used to feed me saying there was a poochandi lurking in the back gardens of my house (these parts of my house was uninhabited and off bounds for me and my cousins). i still am to get over my fear of ghosts. but nice lady my ggma

Vasanthan said...

chokkathangam : the poochandi trick always worked for all kids

Vasanthan said...

@arvind: yeah u told me lots about your grandfather. btw you still have your grandmother, cherish her.

Vasanthan said...

@my life.... : but you still have your grandmother right. grandparents are whom we get the best love.

Lena said...

lol that was a good one :D
but were you that smart at 4 that you had plans to skip school? :P

Vasanthan said...

@Lena: i don't know if i was smart. but i tot my grandfather would forget that i have school. playing sick never worked. but i never stopped trying.

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

nice one there :)

Vasanthan said...

@gunj: thanks mate