Thursday, July 17, 2008

You are a Tamilian Only if .......

i got this from a forwarded mail that my sister sent me:
i think many of my readers can relate to it. and the non indians, just enjoy it.

1- You arrive one hour late to a party and find
out you are the first one to arrive.

2- You think it's perfectly normal to call someone who's 30 years younger than you 'anna' just because he's behind a counter.

3- You wear a suit to a wedding... and you are
only 3 years old.
(most of my childhood pictures are like this!)

4- The wedding takes an hour and the group
pictures take five hours.

5- Your mom and sister together own more
jewelery than a Chinese jewelery store.
(my mom alone can take care of this)

6- Your parents' idea of a vacation is to
go down to the temples in India .
(yep my father asked me to visit some, but i have only gone to my neighbourhood Vinayanagar temple)

7- You talk for an hour at the front door when
leaving someone's house.

8-The second your guests leave the house, your
parents start talking about them.

9- You rent a cassette from the grocery store,
it's been dubbed 6 times... & you return it 3
months later.
PPL borrow dvds from me and they NEVER return.

10- You go to a Tamil Cultural program only to
find one barathanatyam and six hip hop shows.

11- You are somehow related to every new friend
you meet.

12- Your remote control is still in its plastic
packet.
( In my new apartment the landlord kept it this way.)

13-You get a 95% on a test and your parents ask
What happened to the other 5%?!'
(This never happened for me. cos i have never scored 95%)

14-You stare at Tamil people when they walk by.
(in Australia, yes! because its quite rare to find one in Brisbane)

15-You see married couples kissing on TV but
have never your Mom & Dad get within 3 feet of each another.

16-Your parents never address each other by
name.
(My dad does. i Don't care, my wife should call me by name)

17- When you get your first part-time job, your
parents expect you to give them half.
(They took full)

18- Your mother has a minor dispute with her
sister-in law and doesn't talk to her for 10 years.
(My mom left the country!)

19- Your parents say Swiss instead of
Switzerland, Germany is German and England is London.

20- you go to a party and your aunt comments on
how your skin color has changed.
(Yes , and they ask why i go out in the sun that much)

21- You watch a Tamil wedding tape and all the
songs from Roja are dubbed in it.

22- When the teacher took attendance and there
was a sudden pause, you put your hand up and said
'here.'
(Vaa...saann ten...yes i am here! Australia was the worst! i cursed my grandparents for giving me that name. My name is Vas now.)

23-You shortened your name to make it sound Anglo.
(:[ as above...)

24-You have dinner at 10pm.
(nope in singapore its at 11pm and supper at 3am. breakfast at 12noon, earliest)

25- When your parents say 'BBC' they
don't mean the news station but your uncle Nathan or
aunty Kamala.

26-It's normal for all the relatives to
bathe the groom on his wedding day.

27-You KNOW that your promiscuous second cousin
on your father's side is pregnant even before she does.
i am sure what they meant was rumors that is being spread. Not something i did.

28- Your aunties tease you about a particularly
eligible cousin... & you like it!!!
yeah makes me feel like an alpha male. but Not gonna happen. I don't let then choose my clothes, a bride?? not in this life.

29- You serve all your guests tea with milk and
5 spoons of sugar.

30- You only stop putting more rice on your
guest's dinner plate 7 times after they tell you to
stop.
(Its fun to see them beg you to stop!)

31- Anytime you speak back to your parents, you
get: 'I toiled my life for you, and this is how you
repay me?!' - 'Naanga eppadi khasta pattathukku nee
ithuvum solluvae ithukku melayum solluvae!'
i am sure both my parent's ears and mine are numb to these emotional blackmail.

32- If you are a girl, you are expected to come
home before dark - however if it's a son, 'OK rasa,
jaakirathaa poitu vaa...'
(they don't give me the green signal, they just give me the customary nag in the morning, its just my alarm clock.)

33-Halfway through your shower you realize that
your Head and Shoulders shampoo is gone and has been
replaced by Siyakkai shampoo.
(Never, i only use herbal essences shampoo and i get it myself.)

34-You walk in to another Tamil family's
house and they have the same furniture and dining set as
yours.
(i blame dad for his tacky ideas.)

7 comments:

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

i guess dats true fo most indians than just tamilians!

Vasanthan said...

@gunj:i guess its an Indian thing.
thanks for visiting Gunj

my life.... said...

Thats true for most indians esp for functions, they arrive an hr late

Vasanthan said...

@my life.... :since they only want to take part in the photo sessions only.

Lena said...

some of them can be called universal and applied to other nations as well..
thought its funny how much truth some forwards have :)

Vasanthan said...

@lena: thanks for reading!
looks like i have to change the title of the post.

Arvind Gawade said...

Vasan, that is a funny post man. I can relate some of it to my observations in my family..haha
Moreover, I think every ethnic group has their stereotypical behavioral traits like the Chinese famous for gobbling up their food like there's no tomorrow.