Friday, August 8, 2008

Celebrating the Singapore Spirit









On the 9th August 6, 2008 my motherland Singapore celebrates her 43rd birthday. Singapore is a first world country right now. And during these 43 years of its growth there is mastermind behind its growth, the genius is none other than minister mentor Lee Kwan yew. From a fishing village to a first world country Singapore’s growth is phenomenal .Today I thank that man to have given me the proud feeling that I get when I tell someone that I am a Singaporean.

When I was in primary school (elementary school) the school’s annual sports day and the national day would be on the same day. Every child in Singapore will receive a gift from the education minister. It would be a stationary set, a bag or something very useful. I used to look forward to that day because whether or not I win something in the games, I would still go home with a prize.

Sadly as I am in Chennai I would be missing the celebrations. Although I might be in India, my heart is in Singapore. I feel proud to be a Singaporean.
With great respect, pride and camaraderie I recite my nation’s pledge for my Singapore:

We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

Here is a link to a song that describes the growth of Singapore.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=piF_2PQSkBM&feature=related

One People, One Nation, One Singapore

6 comments:

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Feels so good to see how attached you are to your mother land. Happy bday Singapore :)

Vasanthan said...

@shalini: welcome back. Singapore is in my blood.the country has given me too much.

Solitaire said...

Majulah Singapurah!

Vasanthan said...

@Solitaire: yes! Onward Singapore!

Anonymous said...

One People, One Nation, One Singapore and one world...! Why don't you add the 'world'. All of you have patriotism. it leads to world war. Hello everybody change your mind atleast in the globalizing world and atleast especially you, because you have my name!(please visit my blog vasanthaseelan.blogspot.com)

my life.... said...

Happy Belated national Day to u too! This year NDP not so fantastic unlike in the olden days in Padang... I find that the celebration now held in Marina Bay holds no much significance with retrospect to its historical site... they shld'nt have revamped it...