Friday, January 18, 2008

My diving experience part 3 of 3.

This is the final part of my diving trip. After day one of our dive trip we went to a restaurant facing the sea for a well deserved meal and a couple of drinks to celebrate our conquering of Amity Point, for most, it was an early bed time in preparation for another even earlier start in the morning.
We woke to some good weather and were all pumped for some great diving. After putting our gear together and loading the boat everyone made their way down to the beach where the boat would launch us into the ocean. After a fun ride out bounding over the waves we discovered that the conditions were going to let us get out to Manta Bommie to where the Manta Rays Play. On the trip to our diving point, we saw a school of dolphins swimming pass us. Then there was a sudden change in the tide so we had to change our dive spot to Shag Rock. During our first dive all of us completed our skills. Skills involve us swimming with the aid of just a compass, clearing our mask and showing expertise in our buoyancy control.

After the 3rd dive, when we went up to change our tanks for our final dive, most of us became sea sick. I even considered giving up then. But I felt that I would feel better in the sea then on boat. It was true. My sea sickness was over once I re-entered the water. I even puked while on the sea bed! It requires skills to vomit in the sea cos you don’t want to suck any water in. The 4th dive was just like a tour trip, we floated around looking at the marine life. If I were to describe the feeling it is like floating in outer space! Many of us might not have a chance to experience zero gravity, and to me this is the closest one can get to that.

My only regret is that I didn’t see any manta rays. I heard Mauritius has a nice diving spot where I could dive with the mantas, hopefully that dream materialize in 2008.

No comments: